Evansville Day School began in 1946 as the Episcopal Nursery School, enrolling seven students at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. The School was incorporated on June 10, 1949, as a not-for-profit coeducational school, with a vision to serve students in the primary and secondary grades. The school relocated in 1952 to S.E. First Street, and was renamed Evansville Pre-School, with the addition of a kindergarten class. In February, 1958, the school became Evansville Day School (EDS), added instruction for all Primary School grades, educated eighty students, and established its new location in the former residence of the Austin S. Igleheart family at 800 Sunset Ave. In 1961, to accommodate the addition of high school classes, the school added a 4,000-square-foot classroom, library, and laboratory addition. In 1965, the first high school graduating class advanced all of its eleven students to college. With enrollment in 1967 exceeding two hundred, the school initiated a capital campaign to raise $500,000 for a new facility. By 1968, EDS had opened the doors at its current location, 3400 N. Green River Road, with two hundred sixteen students enrolled. By 1981, enrollment reached three hundred students, taught by thirty-five faculty and teachers. In that year, construction was completed on a $250,000, six-room Lower School addition, followed by a million-dollar Upper School structure in 1984, at which time enrollment reached three hundred and fifty-five.